<$BlogRSDUrl$>
THE BLOG OF AN EX TWENTY SOMETHING HOUSE EX HUSBAND Now available on your PDA via

The Good Ol' Days


Thursday, August 28, 2003




I made it into Tuesday's Sydney Morning Herald and the Melbourne Age.

I wrote them a letter about accessing other people's email.

I work on a Helpdesk and am often asked by the Management of our clients to provide them with unrestricted access to their staff's emails.

Sadly I have to grant them this access even when they do not supply a reason for it nor how long they require this access.(I assume indefinatley)

It is always made clear to me that the person who owns the mailbox is never to know this has happened.

I feel this is VERY wrong and I wrote a letter to the Melbourne AGE and Sydney Morning Herald about my concerns.

Have a look at the Front page of the IT Section of Tuesday's SMH or The AGE. That is the story they wrote about it.

They mention me specifically about half way down.

Here is the link to the SMH story if you don't have it laying around any more.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/08/25/1061663722287.html

I don't see how someone accessing your work emails is any different from tapping your phone at work.

In fact I believe it is a lot worse.

All companies are required to have some sort of Privacy Policy in place to cover this sort of thing. These policies usually say something along the lines of "Management has the right to view emails without notice or knowledge for any employee"

Have you ever suspected this is happening to you?

Want some hints on how to find out if your emails are being viewed by someone else? Contact me.

There are 3 people you never want to piss off. Your Doctor, You Mechanic and your System Administrator.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


RECENT COMMENTS




Current Posts


How do you get a 2 year old to sleep when they do...

My 10 year school reunion is in 3 months. Unfor...

I am currently reading Teeth of the Tiger by Tom C...

This is the Blog of a 27 Year old House Husband. (...



ARCHIVES




contact me


Please send any comments, offers to edit major metropolitan newspapers or book publishing contracts to

simatt [aT} big pond dot net.au



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on Blogwise
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on BlogShares