<$BlogRSDUrl$>
THE BLOG OF AN EX TWENTY SOMETHING HOUSE EX HUSBAND Now available on your PDA via

The Good Ol' Days


Tuesday, November 11, 2003




Saturday morning shopping tips

Shopping by yourself presents the challenges of impulse buying. Shopping with the family on a Saturday morning however, presents a far greater challenge. The sheer volume of all the other families doing exactly the same thing.

If you are not fortunate enough to have got your act together and shoved everyone out the door before 8:30, you better prepare yourself for a 2hr long grocery shopping ordeal that will see you parking in the next suburb before running down the old and the sick with your trolley for a better position at the checkout.

One of the biggest problems with the Saturday morning supermarket is trying to navigate your way around all the other trolleys, strollers, prams, people and staff.

I experienced this first hand recently along with the rising volume of the kid's whinging, the rising of my blood pressure and the ever present squeak of the trolley wheel.

As we turned around from the refrigerator isle, into the veggie section and past the entrance again, I noticed with dismay that the people just kept coming. Cramming into the already impossibly crowed supermarket to create some kind of food filled mosh pit.

It was then that one of my boys asked to ride on the front of the trolley. I said OK and then I noticed something wonderful happen. Everywhere we went with my 3 year old hanging off the front of the trolley, people would move right out of our way like someone coming back from the bar with a 5 beer shout or Moses parting the sea.

I thought I was just imaging it so I kept him on there for a while. Lo and behold, everywhere we went it was like we were travelling in the bus lane on the Harbour Bridge while everyone else was stuck in peak hour traffic.

And so it seems that the answer to Saturday morning supermarket congestion lies not in getting up early and avoiding the crowds but rather to stick your first born child on the front of the trolley like a human battering ram.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


RECENT COMMENTS




Current Posts


So where are the kids? Get ready to hear this p...

Go Go Gadget Phone... It appears the Brains Tru...

Childbirth from the Father’s perspective Part I ...

Peanut butter in the fridge? There are many thi...

Wheel Chair Terrorists It seems the National Ai...

Traumatised by Thomas The classic and long runn...

Regional News and The Daily Telegraph One of th...

What is a House Husband? I asked myself the abo...

The Pickles at McDonald's There are two kinds o...

Selective hearing As my wife can attest, I am a...



ARCHIVES




contact me


Please send any comments, offers to edit major metropolitan newspapers or book publishing contracts to

simatt [aT} big pond dot net.au



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on Blogwise
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on BlogShares