<$BlogRSDUrl$>
THE BLOG OF AN EX TWENTY SOMETHING HOUSE EX HUSBAND Now available on your PDA via

The Good Ol' Days


Wednesday, October 20, 2004




Dad what's a Jelly Master?

"Dad why does the big black man keep saying 'It is your Gestiny'?"

These and other questions were flying thick and fast as I sat down to watch Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back for the first time with my two boys.

I got the DVD Box set of Star Wars Episodes IV, V & VI for my birthday on the weekend and have been umming and aaring about when to let the boys watch it.

The decision came pretty quickly when I saw them watching Find Nemo and The Lion King recently.

For those who haven't seen either Nemo or Lion King, they follow the trend of recent "Kid's Movies" which sees the parents of the main character dying in a dramatic turn of thinly veiled violence, usually while the young character is watching on.

For example, in Finding Nemo, Nemo's Mother and all of his brothers and sisters are devoured by a hungry Barracuda in the opening scene, with Nemo himself being abducted by a SCUBA diving Dentist. (reckon I'll get a Google Wack for the phrase SCUBA Diving Dentist?)

The Lion King sees the little Lion cub standing on the sidelines while a heard of Wilder beast trample his Father to death right before his eyes. He too is then stripped from the rest of his family as he runs into hiding.

So I thought that my kids have already been exposed to copious amounts of violence and pretty adult themes at the hands of Disney and Pixar so Star Wars should be no problem. After all there is no blood, not that much violence and no one important to the story dies or even gets hurt very much.

So on it went and let me tell you sound and image quality are excellent. Especially when you consider it was filmed in the 70's!

The boys loved it to bits and were throwing me questions left right and centre.

"Who is that big hairy, fluffy man?"

"His name is Chewbacca. He's a Wookie"

"Who is that big yellow shiny man?"

"He's a droid called C-3PO"

"Why does he talk like Carson from Queer Eye?"

"I'll tell you when you're older son"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


RECENT COMMENTS




Current Posts


Inconsiderate, Umbrella Toting Idiots ...

Hmmmmm... Silence Last weekend saw my lovel...

The First Pulling of the Finger A few years ago...

Space Sandwiches "Daddy. My san...

Camel Toe: The New Black As great swathes...

This is a short story I wrote for a 2SER competi...

Bangalore Bungling If you have ever been misfor...

A Shout out to the people who let me get my voice ...

Pulling the Finger of Democracy Hi ho, Hi h...

You heard it here first It's not ...



ARCHIVES




contact me


Please send any comments, offers to edit major metropolitan newspapers or book publishing contracts to

simatt [aT} big pond dot net.au



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on Blogwise
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on BlogShares